Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mission: شکار / Location: اتاق مريم / Time: 5:05 a.m / Time Zone: GMT+1

NOTE: I catch most of the insects and put them out on our balcony, I don't like killing them and I get bad conscience when I do but how high are my chances to catch a spider or those fast running beetles??

[ I was sitting peacefully working at my desk. Very well concentrated because of the good sleep I had. Five fingers away from my left eye came down a big spider with long striped golden legs.]


5:05 Saw the spider coming down, looked at it in shock thinking,"How did it get in! I never leave my window open unless I'm looking at it!"- I'm very severe about not having any insects entering the room-.

5:06 - 5:25 Stood away as if I was dried, thinking of all the ways I could get rid of it:

  1. I could catch it and keep it as a pet.

(Two days ago I had gone to the pet shop that I take a look at everytime I'm out, it's been a month that I've thougt about buying a snake or a spider as a pet, The prices were from 200 to 450 CHF . I asked the guy about taking them from one country to other - switzerland to Iran-, he said getting a permission for snakes is very difficult but spiders are easier.)

2. I could use one of these insect killer sprays -not a good option, I didn't know what it would do to my books and papers and plus all, they're toxic-.

3. Catch it and throw it out of the window.

4. Get out of the room, leave everything, lock the door, cover the cracks and never enter the room again.
In the meantime the spider had gone up his silk, back to the top shelf in the corner of my sketch book, scared of my move and waiting there and seemed to be planning to stay there as long as...i don't know...till he feels safe to move again!!! How does he feel that?


5:26 Decision made

5:27 Maryam:" Mamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan"

(Mom's my hero, she catches insects in a blink of an eye...very impressive from my view)

روزت مبارک


5:28 Illuminating some facts for my mom as if she misses and the spiderman crawls into my books or under the shelves I would abandon the room- I thought one day in year 5050 they would open my room and find mutated spiders and big spiderwebs all around the room, they looked like the mechanical creatures in the machine world in 'The Matrix'.

"Damn TV It ruined my imagination and my ability to umm, well uh...you know."

-Bartholomew J.Simpson

(why did i think that i would be dead by 5050 but the spider in my room would be alive and would have reproduced!!) -

5:28 Mom gettting ready to catch it and aiming for the poor creature.

5:29 Maryam: "Mission impossible"

5:29 [few seconds later] Mom: "Mission accomplished"

بخاطر مسائل امنیتی نمی توان جزئیات عملیات را افشا کرد

5:30-5:40 Still standing there trying to digest what just happened. Examining my shelves to make sure there's no more of those surprises.
[ I have always took spiders as intellingent creatures and this time too, the spider had a very witty reaction to my withdrawal.]


When the battle is over and the ground is cooled, well, it's then that you see the opposing General's valor.


5:45 back to work


[ what was the spider thinking!! Where did he think he's going? Maybe he wanted to come on to my page and read Naser Khosoro's poem!! ]

  • The Lesson Was : Buy a pet that you wouldn't mind having it out of the cage - I think snakes are better options-

PS. I already have a pair of extremly intelligent parrots for 5 years now,

I had two tadpoles (I'll be writing a post about them with all their pics and a resumé of their journal)
Two years that I have a Gold fish, I call her My Moby Dick . I can't live without her.
and there's a spider web with it's spider in my window frame- I wash there a lot but I do my best not to hurt the web- and I get to observe everything with it like how the spider knits it and how the insects get stuck and how the spider runs, wraps it and...eats it...I actually filmed it once -I film a lot of things, sort of Everything and Everywhere- I also love observing different fruits rot, I take continuous pictures of them and view it in a slide show, It's fantastic. I also had two rabbits and a lot of JooJe -They all died-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
19 hours and 35 minutes later


Mission: Solo / Location: Hallway / Time: 1:20 a.m / Time Zone: GMT+1

Caught a beetle and tried getting rid of it myself, poor try, I didn't hit it hard enough so it was still alive when his guts where coming out, look at it's colour...turquoise...wow...

so anyway I used the insect killer spray at the end.

  • Lesson: Hit hard or don't hit at all.

PS. The thing is that I don't scream when I see insects, if I did, my parents wouldv'n had sent me to a psychiatrist.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try to follow the principles of Ahimsa too, but i have always had two exceptions. first of all the mosquitos and the reason there is purely related to the fight for existence (and they look so mechanical anyway), and secondly the cockroaches. i consider them like terrorist enemy combatants and i allow myself to have them locked up in a Gitmo-like place without any access to courts or lawyers or the Red Cross. They hate our way of life so there is no reason why we should extend the basic rights of our society to them! call me anything you like but if there was a politician in this world who promised to round up the cockroaches and send them to extermination camps, he would have certainly had my support. the cockroach is the closest in animal kingdom to terrorists: they way they move without making any sound, with such speed, and you never know where they've come from and what they're looking for!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SOF!A said...

U CAN COUNT ON ME ON ANY ACTS AGAINST COCKROACHES AND OF COURSE MOSQUITOS...

YES!! YEeeeeS!! let's take over the world!

;)

Anonymous said...

خدا بده برکت.... یه کم فک می زدی!!! ببینم از این مارمولک خوشگل ها ندارین؟ اگه داشتی قربونت نگهش دار من میام ازت می گیرم... از اون lizardهااااااا
با این عکس های چندشت.... اه اه!
ولی وبلاگت نازه البته به پای خودت هنور نرسیده... !!!:)

SOF!A said...

blue tongue daram, az australia negah dashtam vasat ;) yadete? lol

Anonymous said...

kolli typide budam barat pak shod!!//dar morede nazaret :manam rusarim jolo bud!!(baba asan man maghnaeye namaz saram bud!!un ke dg aghab nemire!!)akhe darde ina in nist!vaghti placard mizanan :chador neshaneye melli o hejabe bartar ast!khob in yani chee?!!man ke ba ruze madar moshkel naradam!ruze pedar ham darim!amma un ruz ruze mard nis!ye ruz ro zadan be name zanan ta hazarat beshinan az arzesh zan dar eslam o belakhas IRAN o biarzeshish tu farhange gharb harf bezanan!!//man hasharat ro dus daram!nemikoshameshun!bareshun midaram az panjere mindazama birun!!!az hasharekosh ham estefade nemikonam az bush motenaferam...amma vaghean mikhay maar negah dari!ajab peti!!shenidam tu emrika korokodile negah midran!!!jaleb!//felan

Nirvana said...

Che takhayolate ghavie dari khosham omad az noe neveshtanet.
Behet tabrik migam;)

Nirvana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
S. said...

I miss my mommy already :(

Hopefully Harvard doesn't have spiders.

(btw, there is a comment thread running in my blog about how to punish you for your anti-lawyer comments...be prepared to be hit, and hit hard, but negligent tortious litigation, without recourse to mediation, negotiation, arbitration or any other form of alternate dispute resolution...khoone khodeto halal kardi, malet male varasast, hamsaret behet harame, khoonet hadare...now why would anyone want to go around pissing off lawyers is a wonder?

SOF!A said...

Terrified, Mortified, Petrified, Stupefied.

Maria said...

about your comment in my blog: you're absolutely right. Why can't will all live together peacefully? We don´t need to hold hands and sing "kumbaya" but jesus! why do we love to hate and kill other human beings?

About spiders: they are spooky. With their thin legs and multiple eyes... eww. Sometimes I kill them, sometimes I can't bring myself to do it. I just let them live. Did you know that spiders protect books? I read a story about an old house in the country side filled with books. The house was abandonned for years till it was bought by a young family. The old owners warned them that the library might be ruined by the insects... It wasn't. The spiders and their webs had protected the books. The spiders ate the insects that eat books and the webs had isolated the windows ans doors of the outside world. Since I've read this it became harder and harder to kill a spider. I have almost 800 books in my bedroom... So I let a spider or two live in my bedroom to protect my books :) Cool, don't you think?

SOF!A said...

from now on, when u buy a book, ask for it's guardian spiders too ;)

at least spiders don't make any noises compared to mosquitos, that's already a privilege

Kimia said...

I love the part that wrote 5:05 to 5:26 standing away :)) I can imagine it :))

Anonymous said...

Hi
I loved the idea about the spider guardians for the book
also we have gathered extended information about cockroaches and the way they are
I should tell meghdad that cockroaches do make sounds when running and they just need some extra attention as we catch cockroaches by their noises
also about spiders, unless they're not poisenous, I find them much better than cockroaches, they come from the top, the roof in contrast to the cockroaches coming from toilets and drains
Maysam

Anonymous said...

Hi
I loved the idea about the spider guardians for the book
also we have gathered extended information about cockroaches and the way they are
I should tell meghdad that cockroaches do make sounds when running and they just need some extra attention as we catch cockroaches by their noises
also about spiders, unless they're not poisenous, I find them much better than cockroaches, they come from the top, the roof in contrast to the cockroaches coming from toilets and drains
Maysam

SOF!A said...

cool comment maysam,
well, spiders are cleaner, what attracts out attention to cockroaches is their color and the way they move-run-,
wow! if u track cockroaches by their noise i have to say you're some insect hunter, well, here there aren't much but a lot of other crazy creatures and i'm becoming such an expert in insects. observing them and spending(wasting)a lot of my time every night taking pics of them, the mosquitos are so varied, all insects are.

SOF!A said...

normally people become experts in that one subject that they love but since insects are everywhere and they have entered our everyday life, i've learnt that i should try understanding them-that doesn't mean i would have any merci on them :D- they're just very entertaining since they're so various.

[let's become Beetle Busters, we'll be well paid in iran :) ]

GR.eat! said...

Hello.

Interesting blog. =D

mrdes said...

Hi, I look forward to your post about the two tabpoles:-)